The leading experts in our field, H+R investigate problems in buildings and the built environment.
We provide an independent remedial surveying and consultancy service for building owners and occupiers, property managers, developers, builders, architects, surveyors, engineers, insurers and loss adjusters.
At a competitive price, we will carry out a minimally invasive investigation of your property, and provide expert independent and environmentally sound advice on cost-effective long-term solutions. Our work is supported by in-house and external specialists and laboratory services, and can be covered by guarantees or collateral warranties.
Find Out More
Geoffrey Hutton and Michael Rostron met as research scholars at the RIBA at the start of the 1960s, when it became clear to them that the building industry was in dire need of more and better information on the new materials and systems being used in construction. They therefore set up in partnership as Hutton + Rostron to produce information such as the British Gypsum White Book. Because of this, they were soon being approached to investigate and provide independent expert opinion when building materials and systems failed. In particular, investigating and advising on failures of cladding systems and curtain walling.
In 1975, Hutton + Rostron moved their offices into Netley House, which is an historic building owned by the National Trust. This had severe damp and decay problems, including extensive dry rot. Hutton + Rostron therefore employed a number of young biologists and scientists to investigate the cause of these problems, and quickly came to the conclusion that dry rot and timber decay was not caused by a lack of ‘chemical remedial treatment’ but was a symptom of a chronic problem of inadequate maintenance and refurbishment, resulting in chronic problems of moisture penetration and damp within the masonry.
Based on this work Hutton + Rostron started to provide independent investigation and remedial advice on historic and refurbished buildings as well as failures to new builds. Hutton + Rostron was called in by English Heritage to provide independent advice on the repeated failure of remedial treatments and conservation works at Brighton Pavilion, in the early 1980s. This showed that the problems were due to failure to prevent water penetration and allow long term drying; and Hutton + Rostron instigated the long-term monitoring of buildings to allow cost effective management of these processes.
In 1987, Tim Hutton joined Hutton + Rostron and applied his experience and training in comparative pathology and environmental science to the investigation and remediation of building failures. This resulted in the concept of the ‘environmental control of timber decay’, which showed that isolation of timber elements from damp or potentially damp masonry and provision of adequate through and cross ventilation with fresh air would prevent decay, even if damp conditions persisted or further water penetration occurred. The application of the principals of comparative pathology also resulted in the development of the subject of ‘Building Pathology’ and Building Diagnostics, and Hutton + Rostron held a series of international conferences on the subject from 1989 to 1993.
Since that time Hutton + Rostron has provided cost effective independent expert investigation and remedial advice in investigation of failures or defects in buildings of all ages and types throughout the UK and abroad; and has been the market leader in the UK on the application of principals of Building Pathology and the environmental control of damp and decay related problems. In particular, H+R provides investigation advice on problems supplement to fire and flood, and problems resulting in issues with the health of building occupants, as well as decay and damage to building materials
Manor House is located in the historic core of Mottram. It is recognized to be of architectural and historic interest and is afforded grade ii listed status. The list description for Manor House dates the building to circa 1855. It replaced early buildings on the site which are recorded in the 1940 Tithe records as being the Angel Inn buildings owned by John Tollemache Esquire.
The Tollemarche estate were responsible for building the Manor House and this coincided with building works and estate improvements undertaken around the village at that time and which has strongly influenced the historic character of Mottram today. The Tollemarche family had acquired their estates in Cheshire at the beginning of the 18th century. The Manor House is one of the grander properties within the village built in dressed stone and stone slate roof with a well-proportioned façade and classical central entrance.
Manor House was to be a tenanted property being one of around 180 tenanted properties the Tollemarche Estate was taking income from in Mottram in the mid-19th century. Census records show it was occupied by Mr Fredrick Grundy in the 1860’s who was a solicitor and lived in the property with his family and three servants.
During the late Victorian period and into the 20th century the long-term occupant of the property was Esther Sidebottom who was from a prominent local family and living at Manor House “on her own means”. From around 1914 – 1942 the Manor House was occupied as dwelling and for business use (doctor’s surgery) by George John Awburn who was Surgeon and Medical Officer to the area Urban District Council. The Tollemarche Estate sold off much of their Mottram assets in 1919 and Manor House appears to have been one of the building’s sold on at this time. After being used as a doctor’s surgery Manor House has continued to be used for business purposes never reverting back to its original residential use. It is now offices to Hutton & Rostron’s Northern Office as well as other businesses.