H+R are an independent team of building professionals and scientists with special expertise in building pathology and historic building surveys. We are a leading service provider for many areas of building investigation, building materials and remedial specification.
We have established ourselves as a market leader in architectural conservation, having worked with numerous organisations in the heritage sector in Surrey, across the UK and overseas. Our clients include many well-known institutions and charities, such as The Royal Household, Crown Estate, Government Ministries including the MoD and Cabinet Office, the National Trust, Historic Scotland, English Heritage/Historic England, Natural England, Heritage Lottery Fund and Church Commissioners.
Bringing together our expertise in innovation in investigative technology and comprehensive construction experience, we are in a unique position to assemble the complete picture. Where necessary, we can also draw on additional external resources such as specialist academic research and reference laboratories.
This meticulous approach to historic buildings, structures and ancient monuments gives us the ability to provide coherent and targeted advice for any building related problem. We can offer:
- Building surveys, asset management surveys, specialist condition investigations and heritage value and significance assessments
- Specifications, schedules of work and contract administration
- Assessment on the condition of traditional materials and methods of construction
- Heritage asset management, impact assessments and mitigation strategies
- Conservation management plans
- Planned preventive maintenance programmes and preventive conservation
- Conservation consultancy, training and research
- Advice on risk management
- Advice on ‘mothballing’ and conservation of structures under reduced occupancy to maintain Historical and Capital asset value
Minimally invasive and non-destructive investigations
H+R’s conservation services cover all types, sizes and ages of construction, and are particularly suitable for dealing effectively with damp and decay problems. We carry out minimally invasive and non-destructive investigations and provide appropriate sustainable solutions that work to preserve original building materials and construction methods where they are of historical or architectural significance.
Our building surveys are carefully researched and compiled documents for individual historic assets. They are drawn up to provide specific and detailed historical information as well as clear, actionable recommendations for any refurbishment or remedial work to be carried out. Our reports are trusted by Conservation Officers and are a valuable aid in statutory applications.