Hutton + Rostron specialise in building pathology and other forms of building investigation and remedial specification. We have years of experience and specialist knowledge in building investigation techniques, through a team of scientific building experts. We bring a truly multidisciplinary and holistic approach to our investigations.
Whether you are interested in building pathology with regards to remedial work, risk management or future use purpose, our team would be delighted to work with you. Contact us today for any further information you need.
Our building defect reports
With more than 30 years’ experience in building pathology, the team at H+R deal with all aspects of building surveys and investigations. As a part of our building pathology, we carry out a building defect report which can cover a wide range of issues, including:
- Structural building failure of component elements, including brickwork and timber
- Structural building failure of external envelope elements such as windows and roof finishes
- Damp issues, including penetrating damp, rising damp, condensation and failure of heating and acoustic insulation
- Movement due to moisture/thermal movement and subsidence/settlement
- Anthrax in plaster and heavy metals in paint
- Wood boring beetle and other insect infestations
- Dry rot and wet rot infection and decay
- Mould growth and Volatile Organic-Compounds (VOCs) and other potential health hazards to building occupancy
- ‘Mothballing’ consultancy to protect the capital value of properties during periods of reduced occupancy or prior to re-development
What is building pathology?
Building pathology is the study of building defects, building decay and building performance in order to develop suitable remedial and management solutions. The discipline looks at the interrelationships between the physical building, its use, occupation and environment to gain valuable insights into why buildings fail.
Our approach to building pathology
Our years of experience and knowledge means that we have the expertise to offer a truly holistic approach to building pathology. Our remedial property survey and consultancy services effectively describe the investigation, diagnosis and reporting of any building issues. Our reports form the basis of developing sustainable solitons to deal with the defects and deterioration that we have uncovered.
Our building defect reports usually begin with a compilation of background and historical information. This is followed by a comprehensive property inspection which may involve specific investigation and measuring. To assist us in obtaining robust results, we use our extensive practical experience, combined with a wide range of minimally invasive, non-destructive investigation techniques as well as specialist instrumentation and laboratory facilities.
At H+R, we are proud to work with a very broad range of clients comprising commercial property organisations such as contractors, developers, real estate companies, landed estates and property management companies, in addition to private property owners. We also act for fellow industry professionals as well as numerous heritage sector organisations, institutions and charities.
We are experts in resolving and preventing building defects and decay. H+R are a valuable resource, helping you act in good time to mitigate potential losses. We can offer cost-effective services and specialist advice that are tailored to the individual requirements of your commercial or private property.