H+R Rostron is an independent team of scientific building experts and surveying consultants, with a specialisation in building pathology as well as other forms of building investigation and remedial specification. Our multidisciplinary team of building professionals have many years’ experience and a wealth of specialist knowledge that enables us to bring a uniquely holistic approach to our investigations.
Whether your interest in building pathology concerns remedial work, risk management or future use purpose, our team would be delighted to work with you. Contact us today to discuss your particular requirements.
Building defect investigation
With more than 30 years’ experience in building pathology, the team at H+R deal with all aspects of building surveys and investigations.
Our building defect reports
To inform our building pathology work, we carry out a building defect report that can cover a multitude of issues such as:
- Structural building failure of external envelope elements such as windows and roof finishes
- Structural building failure of component elements, including brickwork and timber
- Movement due to moisture/thermal movement and subsidence/settlement
- Damp issues, including penetrating damp, rising damp, condensation and failure of heating and acoustic insulation
- Anthrax in plaster and heavy metals in paint
- Dry rot and wet rot infection and decay
- Wood boring beetle and other insect infestations
- Mould growth and Volatile Organic-Compounds (VOCs) and other potential health hazards to building occupancy
- ‘Mothballing’ consultancy to protect the capital value of properties during periods of reduced occupancy or prior to re-development
What is building pathology?
Building pathology is the study of building defects, building decay and building performance failure to assist in the formulation of suitable remedial and management solutions. The discipline looks at the interrelationships between the physical building, its use, occupation and environment to gain valuable insights into why buildings fail.
Our approach to building pathology
Our years of experience and knowledge has provided us with unrivalled expertise to offer a truly holistic approach to building pathology. Our remedial property survey and consultancy services effectively describe the investigation, diagnosis and reporting of any building issues. Our reports form the basis of developing sustainable solutions to deal with the defects and deterioration that we have uncovered.
Our building defect reports typically begin with a compilation of background and historical information that we have researched. This is followed by a comprehensive property inspection which may involve specific investigation and measuring techniques. To assist us in obtaining robust results, we use our extensive practical experience, a wide range of minimally invasive, non-destructive investigation techniques and specialist instrumentation and laboratory facilities.
At H+R, we are proud to work with a broad range of clients comprising commercial property organisations such as contractors, developers, real estate companies, landed estates and property management companies, in addition to private property owners. We also act on behalf of fellow industry professionals as well as numerous heritage sector organisations, institutions and charities.
H+R are experts in resolving and preventing building defects and decay. We offer cost-effective services and specialist advice that are tailored to the individual requirements of your commercial or private property. As a valuable resource to our clients, we can help you act in good time to mitigate potential losses.